Before the Town of Addison was even called Addison, the freemasons were here. In the late 1800s, the White Rock Masonic Lodge was located in Frankford. Members held service in what is now the northwest corner of the cemetery, conducted school and even built the Frankford Church in 1897. Once the Cotton Belt Railroad came to Noell Junction — later to be renamed Addison after postmaster Addison Robertson – -the White Rock Lodge and its members left Frankford to find jobs in the new railroad town. Addison Robertson, by the way, was a freemason and at one time all of the community leaders were also freemasons.
The current White Rock Lodge No.234 building sits on Addison Road, where Lindbergh Drive becomes Broadway Street. Across the way sits another important piece of the City’s history, the old Addison State Bank building. The lodge itself is nothing special; it’s neither grand nor imposing. For an organization that has been around since the 1700s, the lodge is not quite the palace one might expect. Countless rumors surround the freemasons; movies and popular culture have made them out to be some sort of bizarre cult, for lack of a better phrase, and yet the White Rock Lodge is a one-story, red brick building with nothing more than the traditional freemason symbol on the front.
The members themselves are some of the most welcoming people one could hope to meet. They sit talking amongst themselves around long, gray tables in a sort of common room with plain linoleum tile, and a lovely but modest dinner laid out against one wall. They smile, shake hands, laugh and joke, and in general are an exceedingly decent lot; even insisting any guests be first to help themselves to the food.
Source: Addison Magazine
For more information visit: https://addisonmagazine.com/2014/06/addisons-freemasons-white-rock-lodge/
